Doug Dye was born in 1921. He joined the Plant Diseases Division of DSIR in 1946, where he worked on the cause and control of various bacterial diseases of plants. After completing his PhD at Edinburgh University in 1958, he concentrated on the taxonomy and nomenclature of phytopathogenic bacteria and developed an international collection of these organisms. Doug was Chairman of the International Society of Plant Pathologists Committee on the taxonomy of phytopathogenic bacteria from 1979 to 1983. He retired in December 1983.
When bacteriology, mycology and entomology moved to Landcare at Glen Innes, the bacterial collection had increased to become the International Collection of Microorganisms from plants. The laboratory housing the Collection was named the D.W. Dye Microbiology Laboratory in August 2004. Doug Dye was honoured by NZMS by being made an Honorary Member in 1984.